Important Cookie Information - this message will appear only once
(this message will appear only once)

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies and by continuing to use the site you agree that we can save them on your device. Cookies are small text files which are placed on your computer and which remember your preferences/some details of your visit. Our cookies don't collect personal information. For more information, please read our updated privacy and cookie policy, which also explains how to disable cookies if you wish to.

Banking login

current account


Smile Current Account


  • No monthly fee
  • £500 overdraft - debit interest of 18.9% per annum is charged on the total overdrawn balance. More information
  • Contactless card
Applicants must be UK residents over 18 years old with a gross annual income of at least £6,000. Subject to status.

Representative example: The advance of credit of £500 at an interest rate of 18.9% EAR* variable.

ready to open a smile current account?

Apply online, it only takes a few minutes.

Apply Now

what we need to open your account

We might need to see proof of your identity and proof of your address, such as a passport, driving licence, TV licence and utility bills. We'll let you know what you need to send using our application tracker.

See full list of proofs we accept ›

identification requirements

Please note: One document can't be used for both POI and POA. For example, a driving licence appears on both POI and POA lists, but you can only use it for one or the other.

Proof of Identity (POI):

  • Current valid passport (with English translation)
  • Current full or provisional photocard driving licence (with English translation)
  • EU/EEA Member State Identity Photo-Card or National Identity photocard (Not UK)
  • Shotgun Licence or Firearms Certificate
  • Northern Ireland electoral ID card
  • Instruction from the Court appointing an individual: Court of Protection or Grant of Probate
  • Confirmation of receipt of State Benefits from a Government Agency (including Government issued Pensions)
  • HMRC Tax Notification letter /Assessment letter or Statement of Account
  • Birth certificate (under 18s only)
  • National Insurance card (under 18s only)
  • NHS Medical card / letter (under 18s only)
  • HMRC letter confirming issue of NI card (under 18s only)
  • Current child benefit letter (under 18s only)

Proof of Address (POA):

  • Current UK photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Current old style UK driving licence (full)
  • Notification letter from Benefits agency / other Government agency confirming the right to benefits pension (issued within the last 6 months)
  • HMRC Tax Notification letter / Assessment letter or Statement of Account
  • Letter confirming residency from a Nursing Home/Care Home
  • Local Authority Tax Bill (issued within 6 months or valid for current year)
  • Statement or letter from Bank / Building Society / Credit Card / Mortgage / Life Insurance / Investment indicating that a relationship exists (issued within the last 6 months).
  • Utility Bill (not a mobile phone bill - issued within the last 6 months)
  • Solicitor's letter confirming recent house/land purchase (issued within the last 6 months).
  • Local Authority / Housing Association / Public Letting Agency tenancy agreement Tenancy Agreement or letter
  • TV licence (valid for the current year)
  • Vehicle tax renewal document (issued within the last 6 months)
  • NHS Medical card letter (under 18s only)
  • Child benefit letter (under 18s only)
  • Student loan letter or statement (confirming home address) (under 18s only)
  • Professional reference from a person in a position of responsibility (under 18s only)
  • HMRC letter confirming issue of National Insurance card (under 18s only)

helping you decide: important information

Before you apply for an account, you need to be sure it's the right one for you. The following documents supply important product and legal information you need to make a decision.

Already a customer?

Do you have a smilemore current account or smile student account?

The Co-operative Bank reserves the right to decline any application.
Credit facilities are provided by The Co-operative Bank are subject to status and our lending policy.
*EAR - (Equivalent Annual Rate) The equivalent to paying and compounding debit interest over a whole year.